Published last at 5:21pm CDT October 26 2020, subject to change throughout the day.
62,014,329 ballots have been cast for Election 2020 thus far accounting for 45% of the total votes cast in the 2016 general election.
With the election just over a week away, many of us are starting to ponder what comes next. With the approval of Amy Coney Barrett as the next Supreme Court Justice, there are several issues on the docket for her first week including: abortion and Trump's taxes. Additionally, "Barrett also refused to say whether it’s OK to intimidate voters at the polls, and whether a president has the right to postpone an election. She would not say whether citizens have the right to health insurance. She would not speak up for workers’ rights or gun violence prevention rights," as the Boston Globe reports. The states will have stronger sway in this current SCOTUS makeup which has prompted Vice President Biden to say that he plans to form a specifcal commission to suggest Supreme Court reforms.
The foundations of this country were built in a time when only a select few - a few select white landowning men - could vote. When the guarantee of "freedom" was limited to a small privileged minority. Today Justices live significantly longer, our demographics have shifted greatly. Biden's suggestion is but one step of many that needs to be considered in looking at overhauling not only SCOTUS but the USA government. We see this too as many women - many women of color, many single parent households, have had to leave the workforce in the USA in order to balance work and home during the pandemic. The strides of the last 50 years can be undone when we fail to invest in equtiable family planning and childcare opportunities. Additionally when we do not invest in women finding employment in positions where those benefits are offered.
When you think about voting, I want you to think about:
- Access to healthcare
- Access to reproductive justice
- Dismantling White Supremacy
- Investing in communities of color and women
Or, better yet, investing in the community of tomorrow, not one of some yesteryear where only a few select enjoyed the "American Dream".
So we need to all:
- Plan to vote, go to
IWillVote.com, and help those in your life to vote as well.
- Squash misinformation about the Election by staying up to date with the CISA Rumor Control website
- Election 2020 - Trump's failed attempt at an October 'surprise' Wall Street Journal - Trump Had One Last Story to Sell. The Wall Street Journal Wouldn’t Buy It.
- Election 2020 - Cybersecurity The Washington Post - U.S. agencies mount major effort to prevent Russian interference in the election even though Trump downplays threat
- Election 2020 - Yes even Russia is distancing from Trump Reuters - Putin rejects Donald Trump's criticism of Biden family business
- Election 2020 - Trump is wickedly corrupt, here's the list of latest folks he'd fire if still President Axios - Scoop: Trump's post-election execution list
- COVID19 - More sick in the White House circle The New York Times - Members of Pence’s Inner Circle Test Positive for Coronavirus
Election 2020: Voting Guides
Cook County Illinois - If you're in Cook County, look no further for information on how to vote on your judges. Injustice Watch has a guide for you. - Girl, I Guess has a progressive voters guide as well. Also available in Spanish!
I'm collecting voting guides over at #GetYourVotingGuide! If you have one please contribute and share widely!
- Join Haymarket Books on October 29th at 11:00am to discuss, "The Virus The Climate The Alternative - Ecosocialist Solutions to Capital Crises" with Andreas Malm and Thea Riofrancos. RSVP here.
- Not a live event, but if you need more from Biden specifically on climate change this weekend Crooked Media, the team behind Vote Save America, interviewed Biden. Watch on YouTube today.
Call to Action
- Help today to reach folks and educate them about the importance of completing the Census - the North Carolina Demography, part of the Carolina Population Center (CPC), has compiled some tools to help you, read more here. And if you haven't already, go to My 2020 Census and complete your Census online!
- Are you a cybersecurity professional? University of Chicago's Election Cyber Surge (ECS) program is seeking cyverseurity and IT professionals to offer assistence ahead of and on Election Day. Fill out the form here to help.
- If you can, donate to help Democrats take back the USA Senate with impact-optimized donations. ActBlue has donations targeted to key states like Senate race in Maine with candidate Sarah Gideon. Donate today!
- If you voted early, keep your eyes peeled to confirm your vote has been 1.) received and 2.) approved. Examples of ballot tracking programs include BallotTrax and BallotTrace. Here's an article to help you get started.
- Get your flu shot, here's a list of where to get it.
- Download and use this "Donald Trump Must [Bin]Go" card that includes actionable items you can do now until Election Day 2020 by Clara Bellum!
- Read and prepare to vote. Here's a "How to Vote in the 2020 Election" guide prepared by FiveThirtyEight.
Just for fun
Y'all show up and vote. Let this amazing live marching band parade entertaining NYC voters in line warm your heart.
BROOKLYN always shows up.— Kristen Clarke 866-OUR-VOTE (@KristenClarkeJD) October 24, 2020
Love this marching band keeping energy levels high as voters wait outside Barclays Center.
Early voting runs from 10/24 thru 11/1 across NYC. Questions? Call 866-OUR-VOTE (866-687-8683). #MakeItCount #VoteEarly #VoteEarlyny