Published last at 8:50am CDT August 19 2020, subject to change throughout the day.
Last night's virtual DNC Convention roll call brought us images reminding us who this country is:
- indigenous strength, such as the Sioux Nation at Standing Rock, of South Dakota
- proud Boricuas of Puerto Rico here to remind the admin they will not be silenced
- Khizr Khan, a Pakistani American, of Virigina
Four years after his speech at the DNC convention in 2016, Khizr Khan returns to represent Virginia in casting delegate votes for Bernie Sanders and Joe Biden pic.twitter.com/KIsrMq2VYG— Yashar Ali 🐘 (@yashar) August 19, 2020
- those that inspire us to bring the "spirit of Good Trouble" like that of recently passed Civil Rights leader Rep John Lewis
- or the backbone of our country, Black Women, as North Carolina nurse Cozzie Watkins reminds us
If you missed the roll call, you can view it here.
Today begins with some continued speculation on what is happening with the questionable changes to USPS:
"What he did was take three big steps forward and took one baby step back, and that just doesn't do it for us," House Speaker Nancy Pelosi commented on Postmaster General Louis DeJoy's annoucement to suspend changes to USPS until after the election. What are those changes? We are still waiting to hear. Will changes already implemented be rolled back (e.g. removal of sorting machines)? Again, that too is unknown.
While changes to USPS may be in a suspended state, the USPS is still facing a suspected $25 billion USD dollar shortage.
- USPS. - Mailing Voting USPS - Postmaster General Louis DeJoy Statement
- USPS - Mailin Voting CNN - The post office backed off, but the damage is already done
- COVID19 - Vaccine CNN - Australia secures deal for potential Covid-19 vaccine, will provide it free to all citizens
- DNC Convention - Day 2 Recap NPR - Highlights Of The Day 2 Of The Democratic National Convention
- Speakers include President Barack Obama, Senator Elizabeth Warren with performances from Jennifer Hudson and Billie Eilish continuet he Democratic National Contention 2020 tonight at 8:00pm CDT to 10:00pm CDT. Watch live and find the full schedule here.
Call to Action
- Get your flu shot. The WHO, Dr. Fauci, and many other health experts urge us all to get one as we wait for a COVID19 vaccine. Target/CVS already have flu shots, Walgreens is slated to start September 1 2020.
Just for fun
- All our tech for this campaign is powered by amazing technologists whom I am deeply thankful for. Today, I'd like to thank Mica, a #LatinxInTech Chicago DNC engineer who is a prominent lead behind
IWillVote.com, "the #1 site for taking action in 2020" as Democrats CTO describes. So, go register on
IWillVote.comand send some ❤️ over to Mica:
🗳️ https://t.co/Wy7NIy9YGP is the #1 site for taking action in 2020 -- register, request a ballot and vote! Meet one of the brilliant 🧠 behind it: @_micada! DNC engineer, Chicagoan, electronic 🎶 lover, educator and amplifier 📣 for women and latinx in political tech. 🥳 Mica!!!— nell thomas (@nellwyn) August 18, 2020
- Seriously, this Maine B&B - Annabessacook Farm -, owned by DNC Convention Delegate Craig Hickman and his husband, brings me such joy. Who wants to book a 2021 trip?
- Also, AOC is amazing. Her endorsement of Sen Sanders was in fact in line with DNC Convention procedures:
If you were confused, no worries!— Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (@AOC) August 19, 2020
Convention rules require roll call & nominations for every candidate that passes the delegate threshold.
I was asked to 2nd the nom for Sen. Sanders for roll call.
I extend my deepest congratulations to @JoeBiden - let’s go win in November. 🇺🇸 https://t.co/uI92P3UfLn
So let's celebrate that and remember AOC's amazing dance moves, which are only scandalous in that they are scandalously FUNNNNN: