Published last at 10:15am CDT August 20 2020, subject to change throughout the day.
President Barack Obama, speaking at last night's Democratic Convention from Pennsylvania, delivered an emotionally charged and somber address. His message was simple, do not give up. Stay engaged. Plan:
"That is how *THEY* have influence over your life, when *THEY* convince [you that do not matter]; DO NOT LET THEM TAKE AWAY YOUR POWER, YOUR DEMOCRACY." - @BarackObama— Loooorena "La Tigresa" Mesa @ #BlackLivesMatter 🖤 (@loooorenanicole) August 20, 2020
This. Is all you need to remember. Stay with me. Let's do it. #DemConvention #DemConvention2020
Furthermore, last night's Democratic Convention addresses focused on the role of women in politics. Notably Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi pointing out, "as America marks the centennial of women, finally, women winning the right to vote, we do so with 105 women in the House. Proudly, 90 are Democrats."
While we celebrate the rise of women in the USA government, we need to remember that as we celebrate the 100th year anniversary of women gaining the right to vote this right was not universally applied to all women. As Black (and indigenous women) continued to confront barriers to vote. Notably Black women were subject to racist state laws that aimed to keep Black Americans from voting. "The 19th Amendment did not addres violence or lynching", Martha S. Jones author of "Vanguard: How Black Women Broke Barriers, Won the Vote, and Insisted on Equality for All" explains.
Put another way, Democratic Vice President nominee Kamala Harris, explains this duality by stating simply, "there is no vaccine for racism, we've go to do the work. For George Floyd. for Breonna Taylor, for all the lives of too many others to name ... ".
"There is no vaccine for racism. We've got to do the work. For George Floyd, for Breonna Taylor, for the lives of too many others to name... None of us are free until all of us are free." - Democratic vice presidential nominee Kamala Harris. #DemConvention https://t.co/LxbJJ2IiP2 pic.twitter.com/Sk6CtkSH2y— CNN (@CNN) August 20, 2020
The Democratic Convention continues tonight. Before that, go prepare your voting plan over at
Update: Bannon has been arrested by USPS, at sea. 2020 y'all. 2020.
- Trump Administration - Tax Return New York Times - Trump Must Turn Over Tax Returns to D.A., Judge Rules
- Trump Administration - Fraud CNBC - Former Trump advisor Steve Bannon arrested on fraud charges in border wall fundraising scheme
- DNC Convention - Day 3 Recap NPR - Highlights From Night 3: Democratic Leaders Zero In On Trump
- Democratic National Contention 2020 culmintates tonight at 8:00pm CDT to 10:00pm CDT with Democratic Presidential nominee Vice President Joe Biden as he will accept the party nomination. For the full lineup, including speakers like Senator Tammy Duckworth, find the full schedule here, and watch live.
Call to Action
- Get your flu shot. The WHO, Dr. Fauci, and many other health experts urge us all to get one as we wait for a COVID19 vaccine. Target/CVS already have flu shots, Walgreens is slated to start September 1 2020.
- Prepare your voting plan at
Just for fun
- The Daily Social Distancing Show host Trevor Noah beautifully captured Michelle Obama's Democratic Convention with the following:
"That was ice-cold. And what made it even more devastating was that Michelle Obama wasn’t angry, she wasn’t yelling, she just stated Trump’s complete failure as a president as an obvious fact. You know, it’s the difference between your mom screaming at you and your mom just casually sipping a coffee and going, ‘Well, not all kids can be winners.’"
🔥 🔥 🔥
- HRC and pantsuits.