Published last at 1:55pm CDT August 25 2020, subject to change throughout the day.
I'm a huge fantasy and sci-fi nerd. Reading the update on what's next for The Dark Crystal, Lisa Henson observed,
"We have the Darkness creeping in, & it feels like Darkness has arrived in the human world now. The carelessness for life, that sort of self-interest business of the Skeksis... the[y] are ruthless."
This struck me hard -- the Dark Crystal is a reflection of the here & now.
Let me explain. Last night I observed the metaphorical Skeksis at The Republican National "Convention". Yes, I know, "why" is likely a question you have. I wondered that too. (Also: if about 1/2 the lineup involves your family be them blood or by relationship is that really a strong sign of unity?)
Night one was precisely as bizarre as expected.
"time to conquer earth!" pic.twitter.com/VDQLKQscaW— ziwe (@ziwe) August 25, 2020
From people with no political know how to a "not in my backyard couple" made famous by touting guns and making veiled racist threats, night one demonstrated nothing. Nothing except the convention is a spectacle and the current admin will lie, cheat, and do anything to promote their interests.
I walked away from night 1 of the DNC seeing Binden as a human. I'm walking away from this wondering why Trump's kids can't even say he's a good person or they love him.— Jeff says, "wear a mask" 😷 (@webology) August 25, 2020
Meanwhile in Kenosha, Wisconsin after the shooting of Jacob Blake, another unarmed Black man, protestors took to the streets. The National Guard was called in. Also, Blake's family announced he is paralyzed from the waist down.
When will the senseless brutalization of POC, but particularly the Black community stop?
If you're a white person go sign up for Kim Crayton's "Being an Antiracist at home" happening on Saturday (see events below 👇🏽).
Everyone, register to vote over at
- Police Brutality - Shooting and protests of Jacob Blake Washington Post - After video shows Wisconsin police shooting a Black man multiple times, National Guard is called to Kenosha
- USPS - Vote by mail Rolling Stone - Rep. Katie Porter Exposes the Dangerous Ignorance of Postmaster General Louis DeJoy
- USPS - Vote by mail Forbes - Washington Postal Workers Defy USPS Orders And Reinstall Mail Sorting Machines
- COVID19 - Vaccine - ABC News - FDA chief apologizes for overstating plasma effect on virus
- COVID19 - Vaccine - Chicago WGN9 - COVID-19 vaccine trial kicks off in Chicago: Very first participants roll up their sleeves
- Looking to show up and start doing the work of being an antiracist? Kim Crayton has you covered and is running "Being an Antiracist at Home" on Saturday August 29 2020 @ 10:00am CDT register today. Please note the workshop requires you to read The 1619 Project.
Call to Action
- BallotReady is a great way to start learning the platforms of candidates in the elections happening in your area! Go check it out.
- Prepare your voting plan at
- Weekly the City of Chicago - Emergency Travel Order updates its emergency travel order. As today's update alerted, "1/2 of all new Chicago cases are Latinx peoples". Stay up to date for travel orders in your area.
Just for fun
- Gen Z is sexualizing USPS to save it. And it's great.
Art by Tumblr user introvertia pic.twitter.com/w7Y5BOlZ0I— Ives Phillips (@itisi_ives) August 19, 2020