Published last at 12:50pm CDT October 15 2020, subject to change throughout the day.
17,560,471 ballots have been cast for Election 2020 thus far accounting for 12.7% of the total votes cast in the 2016 general election.
Tuesday evening #TrekTheVote held a panel with 19 Trek castmembers to tackle such topics as climate change, women empowerment, and social justice and equity as a Biden Harris fundraiser. A Trekkie myself, it was refreshing to see a group of individuals tackle topics such as these head on and not shy from them. Most tellingly was the reminder from Jeri Ryan that we cannot ignore politics as it is everywhere around us, especially in Star Trek.
However my most powerful moment came from Star Trek Discovery's Sonequa Martin-Green on the importance of imagination and representation:
"It's important to not only see yourself, but to see yourself at your highest potential, to see a Black woman who is not only a genius, but an incomparable genius, that takes representation to next level," @SonequaMG on playing #StarTrekDiscovery's Michael Burnham #TrekTheVote pic.twitter.com/z1qVCvu3yp— BOOOrena "La BRUJA Tigresa” Mesa @ #BLM 🖤 (@loooorenanicole) October 13, 2020
Meawhile this week Amazon had Amazon Prime Day resulting in local businesses pleading for us to shop local, as local businesses continue to be exposed to the economic downturn related to the pandemic. The COVID stimulus continues to be politicized as Trump has since reversed the call to support a stimulus bill in efforts to save his own Presidential bid hopes. Still, though, we are waiting for an answer to a stimulus be it $1.8 trillion or not.
Today is also the last day for self-response and field data collection for the 2020 Census as SCOTUS ruled on October 13th that the last Trump administration can end Census counting. This has huge significance on minority and immigrant communities. Notably, Stephen Roe Lewis, governor of the Gila River Indian Communit, commented, "With no explanation or rationale, a majority simply decided that our people do not deserve to be counted, thus continuing a long history of leaving Indian peoples at the margins of the U.S. society at large and economy". Since April this year, the US Census Bureau has noted that there was a huge threat of meeting the December 31 2020 deadline to report their findings to the White House. Trump's desire to remove undocumented immigrants is a secret to no one and this damning decision to end the Census early allows the potential for Trump to simply remove their presence all together. History is written by the victories, is it not?
And that brings us to tonight, where we will have not one but two townhalls, a 90 minute townhall with Biden on ABC and a 60 minute townhall with Trump on NBC. After the Commission on Presidential Debates decided to make the second Presidential debate virtual, due to Trump's COVID status, Trump backed out and Biden agreed to a townhall, to ya know continue to show up for he job interview to try convince the US public why he is the best candidate for the job. Trump's decision for a townhall is not due to any feeling of goodwill, nor does anyone with common sense think it is. What can we say of NBC's choice to air a townhall during the same time as Biden's? Many are saying it's a ratings battle. That benefits no one.
Having dueling town halls is bad for democracy-voters should be able to watch both and I don’t think many will. This will be good for Trump because people like to watch his unpredictability. This is a bad decision. #vote— Katie Couric (@katiecouric) October 14, 2020
So here's my short list for you:
- If you haven't go to My 2020 Census and fill it out, and tell others to as well! Answers will be taken until 23:59:59 Hawaii Standard Time tonight!
- Don't watch the Trump debate and give it a ratings boost. Wait until the recap to get the information, should there be any factual information to be found.
- And, VOTE. May this Demi Lovato - Commander in Chief - song inspire you and head over to IWILLVOTE.com to make your plan.
- Election 2020: Voter SUppression CNN - How mail-in ballot rule chaos in North Carolina is hurting Black voters
- Election 2020: COVID in Biden Harris campaign CNN - Biden campaign halts Kamala Harris' travel after two people in campaign's orbit test positive for coronavirus
- Election 2020: Trump Campaign POLITICO - ‘He’s getting a bit desperate’: Trump tramples government boundaries as election nears
- Election 2020: Technology, Fake News, Election Preparedness Washington Post - Facebook and Twitter take unusual steps to limit spread of New York Post story
- SCOTUS: Amy Coney Barrett CNBC - Judiciary Committee sets Oct. 22 vote on Amy Coney Barrett over Democratic objections
- COVID: More findings CNN - People with blood type O may have lower risk of Covid-19 infection and severe illness, two new studies suggest
- COVID: Europe Updates BBC - Europe lockdown: New coronavirus rules country-by-country
Election 2020: Voting Guides
Cook County Illinois - If you're in Cook County, look no further for information on how to vote on your judges. Injustice Watch has a guide for you. - Girl, I Guess has a progressive voters guide as well. Also available in Spanish!
I'm collecting voting guides over at #GetYourVotingGuide! If you have one please contribute and share widely!
- Tonight at 7:00pm CT is Biden's town hall on ABC, here is how you can watch.
- Friday at 8:00pm CT join the Biden Harris Campaign for a "Hamilton Town Hall" featuring Lin-Manuel Miranda and original Broadway cast members. Live on Zoom, any size donation is welcome. RSVP here.
Call to Action
- Help today to reach folks and educate them about the importance of completing the Census - the North Carolina Demography, part of the Carolina Population Center (CPC), has compiled some tools to help you, read more here. And if you haven't already, go to My 2020 Census and complete your Census online!
- Are you a cybersecurity professional? University of Chicago's Election Cyber Surge (ECS) program is seeking cyverseurity and IT professionals to offer assistence ahead of and on Election Day. Fill out the form here to help.
- If you can, donate to help Democrats take back the USA Senate with impact-optimized donations. ActBlue has donations targeted to key states like Senate race in Maine with candidate Sarah Gideon. Donate today!
- If you voted early, keep your eyes peeled to confirm your vote has been 1.) received and 2.) approved. Examples of ballot tracking programs include BallotTrax and BallotTrace. Here's an article to help you get started.
- Get your flu shot, here's a list of where to get it.
- Download and use this "Donald Trump Must [Bin]Go" card that includes actionable items you can do now until Election Day 2020 by Clara Bellum!
- Read and prepare to vote. Here's a "How to Vote in the 2020 Election" guide prepared by FiveThirtyEight.
Just for fun
I think hanging out with Marina Sirtis drinking wine would be excellent. I'll leave this here for you to decide 👇🏽
Q: "What would Deanna Troi say to our leaders?"— BOOOrena "La BRUJA Tigresa” Mesa @ #BLM 🖤 (@loooorenanicole) October 13, 2020
Marina Sirtis: "To our President, she wouldn't say much as he doesn't listen .. to Kamala & Joe she'd say you're doing it right. Marina, though, is nothing like Deanna she just wants to punch 👊🏽 HIM in the face"#TrekTheVote pic.twitter.com/oXGy4Epnzw